The purpose of this assignment is to demonstrate knowledge of how the federal system of government works. Examine what the different branches and layers of government do to address a policy using a current issue to illustrate it. It is NOT to give your personal opinions on the issue. Complete a research essay on how the federal government creates national security policy.
Here are the aspects and questions to address for this essay:
1. Identify a current policy problem for American national security, and then state a preferred policy solution to it and why it’s preferred (This is your thesis statement).
2. Briefly explain two competing solutions to this problem while addressing the responsibilities of each level of government (federal, state, and local) and the three branches of the federal government (executive, legislative, and judicial).
3. Build the argument for why your chosen solution is preferable, what critics say about the solution, and finally why the critics are wrong.
750 word target length (about three pages), not including references listed at the end or footnotes if used.
Incorporation of concepts and terms from the required readings.
Inclusion of facts from a recent news article about the topic/solution.
Correct spelling, grammar, and formatting, whether it’s APA, MLA, or Chicago/Turabian.
See the essay rubric for further details on grading.
1) Write concisely! More is not necessarily better if the required points from the rubric are missed.
2) Essays should be written in the third person perspective. (Avoid using “I, me, my, mine, we, us, our, you, your”).
Use correct APA format
Your paper should include an introduction, a body, and a conclusion. Also, support your answers with the course’s readings and at least two scholarly journal articles. The article’s purpose is to support your positions, claims, and observations, in addition to your textbook.
ProQuest and EBSCOhost are great sites to find resources. Also, write in a concise and logical, using excellent grammar and style techniques. Additionally, the quality of your writing dictates grading criteria. On the other hand, if you use direct quotes from books or articles, place the words you copied (use parenthesis) and cite in-line.
The quotes should be complete sentences (no more, less) and should be incorporated in your essay to illustrate your ideas. Please, cite your sources in a clickable reference list at the end. Also, do not copy without providing proper attribution (quotation marks and in-line citations). Also, write an essay format, not in bullet form, numbering, or another list format. It would be best if you use your own words. Lastly, proofread your work and run it through Grammarly for thorough confirmation.