CULTURAL IMMERSION PROJECT : The assignment will consist of students analyzing and sharing what they learned or became aware of researching a community outing. Also, concerning your own beliefs, biases, and values about a different culture/cultural group. Generally, about diversity, race, class and how this assignment would influence your practice in the future. The instructor will start to see how students think critically; accept different cultures/cultural groups; recognize potential resources and the ability to identify with the targeted population.
A double-space using 1-inch margins on all sides in Times Roman 12-point font. Students should respond to these questions:
1. Reflecting on your total experience, also how valuable was the community outing you researched during this learning activity?
2. Identify the diversity you observed in the population.
3. What did you learn about these diverse groups? Also, How were they alike or different from your own cultural group?
4. Describe the most interesting part of your experience. Also, What aspect of the experience surprised you or provided you with information or insights you did not expect?
6. Share your observation of the service providers, if applicable. Also, How did they deal with the diverse groups they served? Also, Did you feel they acted in a culturally competent manner?
7. What services were provided, if any? Also, Were they at the micro, mezzo, or macro level? (if applicable)
8. Discuss the facilitator’s role during your community outing experience. Also, How do these roles reflect the facilitator’s cultural competence? What skills do you need to enhance to become a culturally competent social worker and to work with the population you observed?
9. Summarize your overall experience, share the highlights, strengths, or weaknesses you identified in the organization, LAO the service delivery system, and/or the services provided.