Assignment 3 Research Essay. Write a research paper that examines political leadership through the lens of what we have studied in this course. The discussion of leadership in the public sector in this course has been limited to the public service as opposed to the political arena, but because the latter is typically foremost for citizens, we will shift our attention to that area in this assignment.
1. Focus on any election in the past five years You can look at an election at the local level (city council or school board representatives, for example), at the provincial level (e.g., the election of an NDP government in Alberta). Also, at the national level (e.g., the election of the Liberal government), or you can look at an election in another country (e.g., the election of Donald Trump to the presidency).
1. Was this election transformational? To answer this question, you will need to define “transformational.” Does your definition align with transformational leadership as defined in this course?
2. What is the utility and the limitations of using the concept of transformational leadership to understand this election?
3. Additionally, what role did values play in this election?
2. Analyze governance through a media lens In this course we learne-d that mainstream media interests are concentrate-d. New media, however, means that anyone can circulate news. Like leadership, control over the media has change-d, with the traditional command and control being replace-d by a flatter “everyone can be a broadcaster” model.
1. What impact have new forms of media had on those who aspire to leadership positions?
2. Also, What impact has new media had on structures of governance?
3. Write a research paper that integrates themes of this course The most important theme is the role values play in leadership. Your topic will need to be approve-d by your instructor.
1. Take some time to reflect on what you have learne-d from the course. Develop a research question that your paper will answer.
2. Also, begin researching your topic. The research question is meant to help guide your efforts. Your answer to the question becomes the argument or thesis of your paper.
3. When you are satisfie-d that you can answer your research question, develop an argument in favour of your answer.
4. Lastly, your argumentative essay should persuade readers of the correctness of your thesis.